Spring blossoms are happening now at Rancho San Rafael Arboretum! If you are in the mood for color and flowering trees, shrubs and daffodils, here is a nice place...I took these pictures today, April 1, and more may pop out by Monday.
Date: April 6, 2015 (Monday)
Time: 10:00 am
Place: Rancho San Rafael Parrk - May Arboretum, Reno
Parking: In front of the Arboretum
Meeting Place: In the parking lot in front of the Arboretum - when you first drive into Rancho San Rafael Park, turn right into the first parking lot.
Amenities: flush toilets, water, paved main trails and sandy arboretum trails, free parking
Here is a map of the arboretum trails. You can also access the map via this link:
What to bring:
- painting gear
- drink and snack or lunch
- carts work here
- folding chair if you want
- cell phone
- brim hat
- appropriate clothing for the temperature
- hiking boots if you want to go off trail
- umbrella if the sun comes out
What you can see and paint:
- arboretum trails have different kinds of plants and trees
- creek with a tangle of cottonwoods
- marshy areas of creek with cattails
- groves of trees
- arbors and gazebos covered with vines
- May Museum buildings and outbuildings from former ranch
Other amenities: Rancho San Rafael also has a dog park, a pond, and old ranch pastures.
San Rafael Regional Park is at 1595 N. Sierra Street. The main entrance from N. Sierra Street is west of the UNR campus and takes you onto San Rafael Drive, which runs along the south side of the park. From this street you can access the main features, such as the May Arboretum, May Museum, the playground, and various picnic areas. The park office phone number is (775) 785-4512.
Link to Arboretum Society: http://www.mayarboretumsociety.org/