|Mt. Rose Hwy looking east|
Time: 11:30 am (note time is later!)
Place: Mt. Rose Hwy at the Meadow on the top
Meeting place: I will probably be where this sign says "stairs"
Amenities: bathrooms are at the Mt. Rose trailhead parking area east of the above photo. I don't know if they are closed for the season! Sorry - I forgot to check.
What to bring:
- hiking boots or snow boots at least!
- snow shoes if you have them will get you farther
- drinking water
- sunscreen, hat and sunglasses if sunny (snow reflection on sunny day is bright!)
- painting gear
- outerwear clothing - check forecast and throw a coat in the car!
- your lunch if you need it!
- your gear in a backpack if you wish to walk into the snow, hmmm, sled might work too!
- carry chains, or, be prepared with snow tires and/or all-wheel-drive if you can
- cell phone
Hazards: some areas have snow covering little streams, some ice, potential hazardous driving up the Mt. Rose Hwy if icy after a storm.
Directions: from Reno, drive up the Mt. Rose Hwy to the top meadow before it goes downhill into Incline Village.
I visited this location today - it was gorgeous - there is a lot of color right now - red stick dogwood, willows, snow patches, evergreens, muted gold grasses.
There is supposed to be snow over the weekend into Monday in the upper elevations. We are now getting into the "WEATHER PERMITTING" type of planning paint-outs.